This is my all time favorite dessert and it wouldn’t be Easter without strawberries making an appearance. This is another great Kraft spinoff, but with my own homemade whipped cream.
Homemade whipped cream is super easy and it will be hard to go back to the store bought stuff again!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
UPDATE: I doubled the cake portion in the photo above. Also best assembled and served immediately.
1 1/4 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup Sour cream
3 Tbs. Sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose baking mix
1 pkg. (3.4oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding
8 oz Whipped Cream (recipe as follows)
4 cups Sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbs. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
Beat all ingredients in a chilled small bowl until stiff.
1) Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
2) Beat 1/2 cup of milk, sour cream, and sugar together until well blended.
3) Stir in baking mix JUST until moistened. You don’t want to over stir as it will be too tough.
4) Spray 9 inch round baking pan with cooking spray. With a spatula, spread mixture into the pan. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes and then cool on a wire rack completely.
5) Meanwhile, beat pudding mix and 1/2 cup of milk with whisk for 2 minutes.
6) Stir in 4 oz of whipped cream. Set aside.
7) Toss strawberries with sugar in a separate bowl.
8) Cut cake horizontally. I use a really sharp long bread knife to get a good clean cut. Place half the strawberries on bottom of cake and top with pudding mixture.
9) Layer the other cake half on top, like a big sandwich.
10) With a spoon or spatula, spread remaining whipped cream over top of cake and add strawberries for final touch.
This dessert is best when served immediately or keep chilled if making ahead. I usually do everything but the final assembly when making ahead, as the strawberries tend to drizzle and absorb into cake.
It is finger licking good and won’t disappoint!